[Peace-discuss] Obama

Morton K. Brussel brussel at illinois.edu
Fri Aug 15 10:47:13 CDT 2008

A view of Obama from the French editor of Le Monde Diplomatique.
And now we read from the Pew polling outfit that he is in danger of
losing the coming election to McCain. --mkb

Obama
By Serge Halimi
Barack Obama is a lucky man: young, of mixed race, thought likely to
make it to the White House, to succeed one of the most unpopular
presidents in US history. He appears better equipped than anyone else
to “renew American leadership in the world” (1) – restore the US
image and win acceptance and support for US action abroad, rendering
it more effective.

That includes military action, notably in Afghanistan: “I will build
a 21st-century military and 21st-century partnerships as strong as
the anticommunist alliance that won the cold war to stay on the
offensive everywhere from Djibouti to Kandahar” (2). To anyone who
still supposes a multicultural president with a Kenyan father would
signal the start of a new era with everyone holding hands, the
Democratic candidate has already said that, with all respect to Pink
Floyd and George McGovern, his foreign policy is actually a return to
the “traditional bipartisan realistic policy of George Bush’s father,
of John F Kennedy, of, in some ways, Ronald Reagan” (3).

Multilateralism is not on the agenda, but imperialism will be softer,
subtler, more inclusive and perhaps not quite so murderous. But the
eight-year embargo imposed by President Bill Clinton killed a lot of
Iraqis.

Barack Obama is talented. His book, The Audacity of Hope, shows a
mixture of historical acumen, cunning, political empathy with his
opponents – he says he “understands their motives and recognises that
they have values which he shares” – carefully balanced statements
that say very little but go down well with almost everyone, humour,
and conviction. Conviction tempered with a disturbing respect for
Clinton who, he said, “had wrung out of the Democratic Party some of
the excesses that had kept it from winning elections” (4). What
excesses? Opposing the death penalty? Supporting welfare? Defending
civil rights? Redistributing incomes?

Barack Obama is ambitious. But where will the legitimate ambition to
win elections take him? The evidence of recent months suggests to the
right. Not so far as to be interchangeable with Republican candidate,
John McCain, or justify the jibe “six of one and half a dozen of the
other”. But far enough from his progressive pronouncements early in
the campaign and even further from what his most idealistic
supporters thought he meant by them. “Yes we can” has become yes, we
can criticise an extremely conservative Supreme Court when it
prohibits the execution of rapists not found guilty of murder; yes,
we can give a speech to the pro-Israel lobby, supporting the most
inflexible positions taken by Ehud Olmert’s government; yes, we can
automatically associate creativity with the private sector, complete
Clinton’s and Tony Blair’s mission to redefine “progressive” and
promote a class alliance in which managers and executives are the key
players.

It gets worse. Emboldened by the massive contributions to his
campaign fund, Obama has just dealt a serious, possibly fatal, blow
to the system of public funding for election campaigns, announcing
that he would be the first presidential candidate since Watergate to
waive the fixed state payment ($84.1m in 2008) allocated to all the
main contenders in return for an undertaking to limit their expenses
to that amount. The role of money in politics is a major problem in
the United States and yet Obama has indicated that he is not about to
solve it. Elsewhere there is still some chance that he will not prove
to be a disappointment and that the true friends of the American
people can retain the audacity of hope.

More about Serge Halimi.
Translated by Barbara Wilson
(1) Barack Obama, “Renewing American Leadership”, Foreign Affairs,
New York, July 2007.

(2) Ibid. This will mean increasing the defence budget and adding
“65,000 soldiers to the army and 27,000 marines”.

(3) Speech at Greensburg, Pennsylvania, 28 March 2008.

(4) Barack Obama, The Audacity of