[Peace-discuss] Parties to the right of the people (II)

Neil Parthun lennybrucefan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 19:37:07 CDT 2008

I concur with the author for the most part. I watched the speeches
and the media discussion (what can I say, I'm a politics junkie/
sadist) and was amazed at the outright imperial nature of both
speeches.  Both candidates will keep forces in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Both want an increased military presence in the Middle East.

The specter of McCain is not a reason to vote for Obama, who is just
as hawkish -- but hawkish in the "good war" and will only keep a
military presence in Iraq to go after al Qaeda (or so he says).  Why
is continued military might and presence seen as the "conventional
wisdom" for mainstream (dare I say "liberals", Carl?  Or just
"Faction 2", haha) politics when other options like not invading
sovereign states and bombing the crap out of people to stop an
insurgency are not only on the table but quite more likely to have
success?

It was "conventional wisdom" of these politicos that got us into this
mess, so why are they contacted at all for suggestions?

Yes, I know it is in the imperial interests of the Ruling Class to
have such actions take place.  My question was more rhetorical than
anything else. :)

Its not the act of seeing with our own eyes alone; its correctly
comprehending what we see,

      Neil

  We absolutely have to refuse to attribute any kind of permanency to
that which is simply because it is.
[angela v. davis, 1944-]

Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could.
Some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as
you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with
too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.
[ralph waldo emerson, 1803-1882]