[Peace-discuss] NYT: forget about NATO membership for Georgia...

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Aug 19 22:19:47 CDT 2008

It also may help the US to (slightly) live up to its promises. The expansion of
NATO to Eastern Europe was contrary to US undertakings at the time of the
unification of Germany.

In 1990 the former East Germany became part of the Federal Republic of Germany
and NATO, as agreed in the Two Plus Four Treaty earlier in the year. To secure
Soviet approval of a united Germany's remaining in NATO, it was agreed that
foreign troops and nuclear weapons would not be stationed in the east.

"Clinton and the George W. Bush administrations undertook a triumphalist
winner-take-all policy of extracting unilateral concessions first from Yeltsin
and then from Putin. They have included the eastward expansion of NATO (thereby
breaking a promise the first President Bush made to Gorbachev); the withdrawal
from the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty, which had discouraged a new nuclear arms
race; the bogus nuclear weapons reduction treaty of 2002; and the ongoing
military encirclement of Russia with US and NATO bases in former Soviet
territories" <http://www.thenation.com/doc/20050314/cohen>.

Mikhail Gorbachev, the Soviet Union's last leader, said in an interview this
spring, "Putin is not going to start a war against the United States or any
other country for that matter. Yet we see the United States approving a military
budget and the defence secretary pledging to strengthen conventional forces
because of the possibility of a war with China or Russia.  I sometimes have a
feeling that the United States is going to wage war against the entire world...

"The Americans promised that Nato wouldn't move beyond the boundaries of Germany
after the Cold War but now half of central and eastern Europe are members, so
what happened to their promises? It shows they cannot be trusted...

"There is a phenomenon in the West to criticise Putin's domestic record. But in
Russia he has mass support. His popularity ratings are 70 to 80 percent. Is this
not democracy?"  --CGE