[Peace-discuss] Olympic demonstrations

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Thu Aug 21 12:57:07 CDT 2008

Karen, I really like your approach to this.

*

I will insert another concept or open another can of worms, the idea of
Westphalian Sovereignty.   According to the Wikipaedia, Westphalian
sovereignty is the concept of nation-state sovereignty based on two
principles: territoriality and the exclusion of external actors from
domestic authority structures.  Of course I bring it up because I
subscribe to its libertarian precepts.    I dont want the police state
interfering with my personal life, I dont want the State interfering
with my City or County, I dont want the Federal Government interfering
with my State, and therefore I must not favour the idea that I should
interfere with affairs of another country.

One look inside my sock drawer reveals that I have quite enough
organizational problems that I am not yet ready to manage other people's
sock drawers.  However, I do stand am ready to defend my sock drawer
against all enemies, whether foreign or domestic.

In popular culture the notion of Westphalian Sovereignty was advanced by
the 60's phenomenon Star Trek's Prime Directive, that they could explore
and interact with strange new cultures in strange new worlds, but were
prohibited from interference with the internal affairs of other
civilizations.

International relations theorists have identified the Peace of
Westphalia as having several key principles, which explain the Peace's
significance and its impact on the world today: (from Wikipaedia)

   1. The principle of the sovereignty of states and the fundamental
      right of political self determination
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self_determination>
   2. The principle of (legal) equality between states
   3. The principle of non-intervention of one state in the internal
      affairs of another state

In Southern Illinois English that philosophy is restated as "/Quit yer
meddlin and mind yer own business".
/[usually peppered with colourful obligatory homespun emphatics]

In Chinese this might be expressed as "Bei lai guan wo" (gently
translated as "piss" off) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1wEChslsA

Now, part of the Olympic Movement Philosophy as I understand is to lay
aside all of the Ya-Ya-ing that different philosophies do at each other
and to compete in the field of sports as a way of promoting an attitude
of "see, we can get along with one another, even though i dont like
chocolate with mustard and you do", but by interacting with each other,
we can both learn something that we can take home, and someday I might
try a bit of mustard with my chocolate, while you may or may not decide
to try either chocolate alone or mustard alone as a result of
interacting with me.  I dont impose my ways on you but something might
be transferred just in the interactions.

I dont see how one can be in favour of promoting peace around the world
and  take the Olympics as an opportunity to intervene and displace,
which is as I have noticed from watching my boys, is a fantastic way to
start a fight.