[Peace-discuss] war resistor facing court martial Friday September 22

Karen Medina kmedina at illinois.edu
Thu Aug 21 20:41:52 CDT 2008

War resistor, Robin Long, faces expedited court martial tomorrow, Friday,
August 22

Robin Long is a 25-year-old U.S. Army Private First Class who recently was
deported from Canada and handed over to military authorities in the U.S.  Robin
faces court martial tomorrow at Ft. Carson in Colorado Springs, CO.  Robin
could face three years confinement, forfeiture of pay, and a dishonorable
discharge from the Army if found guilty.  Regarding his decision to resist, Robin
explains, “Regardless of what hardships I go through, I could have put Iraqi
families through more hardships. I have no regrets.”  IVAW members across
Colorado will offer support by attending Robin’s court martial tomorrow.

things you can do to support Robin:
1. Please take a few moments to write Robin a simple note of support today.
Moral support is such an important way to support war resistors, who are taking
serious risks and to stand up for their conscience and are role models for
others.  They need to know that they have not been forgotten, and that their
sacrifice is recognized.  You can send a letter to Robin by writing to:

Robin Long, CJC
2739 East Las Vegas
Colorado Springs CO 80906

Robin is allowed to receive hand-written or typed letters only. His letters will be
reviewed, so please do not write anything inflammatory that might get him in
trouble.  Do NOT include postage stamps, drawings, stickers, copied photos or
print articles.  However, you may send Robin a money order for commissary
items (postage stamps, toothbrush, shirts, paper, snacks, etc.).  The money
order should be in U.S. funds made out to "Robin Long, EPSO".  The sender’s
name must be written on the money order.  Robin cannot receive packages of
any type from private citizens.  But, you may order a book for Robin from either
Amazon.com or Barnes and Noble and have it shipped directly to him from
either of these companies.  They know the procedure for delivering books to
inmates.

2. Donate to Robin's legal defense.
https://co.clickandpledge.com/sp/d1/default.aspx?wid=22025