[Peace-discuss] Does Urbana courthouse plaza need giant Lincoln head? NO!

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Sat Aug 23 10:53:41 CDT 2008

Actually Abraham Lincoln was a racist who took advantage of a popular
controversy to achieve a
political end.  Lincoln advocated reserving the west of the country for
whites,
supported a law forbidding black people to settle in Illinois and was
fond of racist jokes.
He used two State of the Union addresses to call for the deportation of
black people
and shortly before his assassination in 1865 said of the thousands of
slaves
to be freed at the end of the Civil War: "I believe it would be better
to export
them all to some fertile country with a good climate which they could
have to themselves."

As a politician, Lincoln is the archetype of the coercive power of the
collectivist state over the rights of individuals,
so in that sense it is entirely appropriate for his image
to be worshipped at the local temple of statist power.

On the other hand, the sculpture looks really stupid
and it is another waste of the people's money.