[Peace-discuss] NG on the Caucasus and David Green's response

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sun Aug 24 10:58:08 CDT 2008

...which makes it necessary to tell (again, I think) Chomsky's Alexander the
Great story -- which he had from St. Augustine, who had it from Cicero...:

	"If you've read 'The City of God' by St.  Augustine, you may recall that he
describes a case where Alexander of Macedon captured a pirate.  And he asks him,
How dare you disturb the seas with your crimes?  And the pirate responds, How
dare you disturb the world with your crimes?  The pirate says, I have a small
boat so I'm a thief, you have a navy so you are an emperor and not a thief.  St.
  Augustine says that was 'an elegant and accurate response.'  And it is.  If
you have a navy and you disturb the world you're not a terrorist.  But if you're
small and you have a little boat, you're a terrorist.  That's essentially the
criterion."

http://www.chomsky.info/articles/19860409.htm