[Peace-discuss] Biden = business as usual...

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Mon Aug 25 23:32:20 CDT 2008

I seem to be having trouble making myself clear, at least to Mort:

[1] As I've said, it seems that a Democratic administration might be less bad
for social policy than a Republican one (but they're working for the same
people, as Biden once again illustrates).

[2] You can be antiwar and anti-imperialist even though you prefer Obama to
McCain (but you shouldn't pretend that Obama is anti-war and anti-imperialist).

[3] Chomsky (who is most feared and despised in left-liberal intellectual circles):

   "...the Obama phenomenon, I think, reflects the alienation of the population
that you find in the polls: 80% say the country is run by a few big interests.
While Obama says we are going to change that, there’s no indication of what the
change is going to be. In fact, the financial institutions, which are his major
contributors, think he’s fine, so there’s no indication of any change."

   "...McCain is another example of very effective propaganda-creation imagery.
The public relations industry is a huge industry, very sophisticated. Probably
something like a sixth of the gross domestic product goes into marketing,
advertising, and so on, and that’s a core element of society. It’s the way you
keep people separated from one another, subdued, and focused on something else.
And this is explicit and, as I say, it’s all discussed in public relations
propaganda."

   "...McCain may be worse than Bush. He doesn’t say much, because you’re not
supposed to say much about issues, but the few things he has said are
pretty frightening. He could be a real loose cannon."

Does Chomsky therefore "damn without conviction"?  (And what does that mean?)

[4] As to the "differences," more Chomsky:

   "In the last election, 2004, most Bush voters were mistaken about his views on
major issues - not because they’re stupid or uninterested, but because the
elections are a marketing system. This is a business-run society: you market
commodities, you market candidates. The public are the victims and they know it
... So people are not deluded, they just don’t really see any choices."

   "There has been a lot of criticism of the Bush administration as extremist, if
not at the far extreme of radical nationalism, and McCain is probably in the
same territory. Obama very likely would move back to the center right where the
Clinton administration was.  The Bush doctrine itself, the doctrine of
preventive war - you know, brazen contempt for our allies and so on - is an
interesting example. The doctrine, however, was not new. Clinton’s doctrine was
even worse, taken literally. Clinton’s doctrine officially was that the United
States has the right to use force to protect access to markets and resources,
and that’s more extreme than the Bush doctrine. But the Clinton administration
presented it politely, quietly, not in a way that would alienate our allies. The
Europeans couldn’t pretend they didn’t hear it - of course they knew it and, in
fact, European leaders probably approved of it. But the arrogance, brazenness,
extremism, and ultra-nationalism of the Bush administration did offend the
mainstream center in the United States and Europe. So, there’s a more polite way
of following the same policies."

The candidate of politesse: Barack Obama. --CGE