[Peace-discuss] A NYT Op-Ed on Israel

Morton K. Brussel mkb3 at mac.com
Mon Dec 1 12:17:09 CST 2008

I wonder if this signals any significant change among Jews' support
of Israel's policies, here and there.

--mkb

December 1, 2008
OP-ED COLUMNIST
Try Tough Love, Hillary

By ROGER COHEN
Imagine Ehud Olmert, the outgoing Israeli prime minister, saying this
to Barack Obama:

“The United States has been wrong to write Israel a blank check every
year; wrong to turn a blind eye to the settlements in the West Bank;
wrong not to be more explicit about the need to divide Jerusalem;
wrong to equip us with weaponry so sophisticated we now believe
military might is the answer to all our problems; and wrong in not
helping us reach out to Syria. Your chosen secretary of state,
Hillary Clinton, said during the campaign that ‘the United States
stands with Israel, now and forever.’ Well, that’s not good enough.
You need to stand against us sometimes so we can avoid the curse of
eternal militarism.”

Perhaps that seems unimaginable. But Olmert has already said
something close to this. In a frank September interview with the
Israeli daily Yedioth Ahronoth, reprinted this month by The New York
Review of Books, the Israeli leader chose to exit with a mea culpa
for his country’s policies.

Those policies have been encouraged by the Bush administration, whose
war on terror was embraced by the Israeli government as a means to
frame Israel’s confrontation with the Palestinians as part of the
same struggle. No matter that Al Qaeda and the Palestinian national
movement are distinct. The facile conflation got Bush in lock step
with whatever Israel did.

So, by saying Israel has been wrong, Olmert was also saying the
United States has been wrong, even if he never mentioned America.

What Olmert, who appears on the verge of indictment for fraud, did
say in his “soul searching on behalf of the nation of Israel” was
that he had made “mistakes” as a former right-wing hard-liner and
that military power will not deliver his 60-year-old country from
existential anguish.

“We could contend with any of our enemies or against all our enemies
combined and win,” Olmert said. “The question that I ask myself is,
what happens when we win? First of all, we’d have to pay a painful
price. And after we paid the price, what would we say to them? ‘Let’s
talk.’ ”

Olmert is now convinced of the need to settle with the Palestinians
and Syria through giving up parts of Jerusalem and the Golan Heights.
The fact such views come from a former Likudnik is a measure of how
the political ground has shifted in Israel ahead of elections early
next year.

I think Olmert’s words should be emblazoned on the wall of Hillary
Clinton’s eighth-floor State Department office: “We must reach an
agreement with the Palestinians, meaning a withdrawal from nearly
all, if not all, of the territories. Some percentage of these
territories would remain in our hands, but we must give the
Palestinians the same percentage elsewhere — without this, there will
be no peace.”

Asked if this included a compromise on Jerusalem, Olmert said,
“Including Jerusalem.”

He also declared, “I’d like to know if there’s a serious person in
the state of Israel who believe that we can make peace with the
Syrians without, in the end, giving up the Golan Heights.” Those
words should go up on Clinton’s wall, too.

For Olmert, “holding this or that hill” is “worthless” and Israeli
generals are deluded in clinging to them.

These ideas will sit uneasily with the pro-Israel constituency that
Clinton has dealt with as a Democratic senator for the state of New
York. Nobody’s been more solidly pro-Israel than she. But to be
effective, she must become a tough taskmaster in the name of Olmert’s
compromises. That is in the best long-term interest of Israel.

Clinton noted during the campaign that the United States could
“obliterate” Iran if it launched a nuclear attack on Israel. Olmert
chose different language. He noted “a megalomania and a loss of
proportion in the things said here about Iran.” Once again, his words
are instructive.

I am fiercely attached to Israel’s security. Everything depends,
however, on how that security is viewed. Israel can continue
humiliating the Palestinians, flaunting its power with a bully’s
braggadocio. It will survive that way — and be desperately corroded
from within. Neither domination nor demography favors Israel over time.

Its moral authority is already compromised by a 40-year occupation.
The Diaspora Jew did not go to Zion to build the Jew among nations.

This is the reality behind Olmert’s warning that “we have a window of
opportunity — a short amount of time.” This is the reality behind his
appeal to “designate a final and exact borderline between us and the
Palestinians.”

For that, Palestinians must also compromise, especially on the right
of return, and they must renounce terrorism. Return must essentially
mean return to a new and viable Palestinian state.

Getting to such a two-state deal at, or close to, the 1967 borders
will require concerted U.S. involvement from day one of the Obama
administration. Its tone should be one of tough love, with the
emphasis on tough.