[Peace-discuss] What AWARE calls on Obama & Congress to do... (new working group)

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 4 17:03:19 CST 2008

: From: "C. G. Estabrook" <galliher at uiuc.edu>
: To: "Stuart Levy" <slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu>
: Cc: <peace-discuss at anti-war.net>
: Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 3:31 PM
: Subject: Re: [Peace-discuss] What AWARE calls on Obama & Congress to
do...
:

: This is a great place to start.

Indeed, wonderful work. Thank you, Stuart.

And let me now revisit the suggestion I first put forward at last Sunday's
AWARE meeting.

I pointed out that for some months now, we have steadily put forth the
work necessary to get out a message (sometimes more than one) in the form
of a flyer that we distribute at the Main Event. I think it would behoove
our cause to leverage that work and radiate this message(s) using other
channels available to us. Letters to the editor, Public Square
commentaries on WILL, AWARE on the Air and any other ways we can think of
(such as Carl's suggestions). So I propose a new working group, call it
the "Monthly Message" working group (or whatever those involved wish to
call themselves). The idea is that this group of folks would take the Main
Event message, whatever it might be, and take advantage of the work that
went into it to derivatively create one or more letters to the editor (and
we don't have to limit ourselves just to the DI or the NG - how about
papers in Springfield, Bloomington, Normal and Peoria?). With only
marginally  more work we could also propose a Public Square commentary for
WILL-AM (which reaches most parts of the state, mind you). We could make
as brief or as extended a piece for Aware on the Air as we wish or have
time for. And certainly, if there's interest in a dedicated public
presentation at a library or other public place, by all means let's go
forth with that.

I want to carefully note that participation in such a working group need
not be restricted to folks that attend AWARE meetings. Certainly, there
are non-attending folks reading this list who could take our monthly
message material and distill it down to a 250-word letter to the editor, 3
minute audio commentary for a Public Square piece, etc.

I want to also point out that I'm not proposing that the monthly message
material originate within the group. I think we should stick to the model
that is already working well for that, which is that absolutely anyone can
come forward with a proposal for the Main Event flyer "monthly message"
content and AWARE as a group decides on which we actually wind up putting
into the flyer (just as we have been doing for some time). The MMWG would
just take the resulting message and spread it 8-)

At meetings, when a working group is proposed, we pass around a sheet for
folks to sign up with name, phone and e-mail. I'll do that this Sunday as
well, but I'm also requesting right here and now that folks who are or
might be interested in being part of such a working group to reply to me
with their contact info (even if you've never attended an AWARE meeting,
even if you've never even posted to this list). Being part of the working
group doesn't mean you'll be required to do anything. So even if you just
wind up listening to the internal working group discussion and maybe
commenting every once in a while, I'd still urge you to express your
interest and volunteer to be part of the working group if you feel so
inclined.

Thanks,