[Peace-discuss] Kinzer: Surge Diplomacy, Not Troops, in Afghanistan

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Mon Dec 8 15:40:23 CST 2008

The problem is that the new administration is committed to this plan -- as they
have said for a while.  It seems that a national debate would have to be quite
vigorous -- involving a threat of civil unrest, as in 1968 -- to blunt the
incoming administration's enthusiasm.

(The Pentagon Papers describe how the Pentagon told President Johnson in 1968
that it could not send more troops to Vietnam and still have enough to control
the US domestic population.  But we've not gotten to that point today.)

<http://www.stwr.org/the-un-people-politics/noam-chomsky-on-1968-/-vive-la-revolution.html>