[Peace-discuss] Kinzer: Surge Diplomacy, Not Troops, in Afghanistan

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Mon Dec 8 21:06:55 CST 2008

But letting our "senators and congress members know what we think" depends upon
our knowing what we think.  There seem to be two schools of thought:

	(1) those who say we don't yet know what Obama might do (!), so we should ask
him politely to be nice; or

	(2) those who say that the US government is waging a criminal war throughout
the Middle East, so we should oppose it as vigorously as possible.

If the second group is right (and I think they are) we should rather be
addressing our fellow citizens, exposing the real nature of the war against the
media misrepresentations, and organizing opposition.  Addressing senators and
congress members is relatively pointless: they know what the situation is,
unlike the propagandized populace. --CGE