[Peace-discuss] Israeli Occupation a “Crime Against Humanity”

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Dec 10 20:28:43 CST 2008

UN: Israeli Occupation a “Crime Against Humanity”

A top UN human rights official says Israel’s policies towards Palestinians
amount to a “crime against humanity” and should be stopped by international
action. Human Rights rapporteur Richard Falk made the comments in a report to
the UN Human Rights Council. Falk urged the UN to invoke “the agreed norm of a
responsibility to protect a civilian population being collectively punished.” He
also called for an International Criminal Court investigation of Israeli
military and civilian officials for potential prosecution. Meanwhile, limited
numbers of food supplies have begun reaching the Gaza Strip after Israel
partially lifted an ongoing blockade. A boat carrying activists with the “Free
Gaza” movement docked on Gaza’s shores Tuesday in their fourth successful
defiance of the Israeli siege. Journalist and activist Ewa Jasiewicz was among
those aboard.

     Ewa Jasiewicz: “I am delighted to be here, because I have been banned from
Palestine by the Israeli authorities. I’m a journalist as well, and I think it’s
really important that journalists write about the situation in Gaza in an
independent way, that they are here on the ground with the people, not in fancy
hotels, but in the camps, and working with the people. And this is what I’m
going to do with Free Gaza.”

http://www.democracynow.org/2008/12/10/headlines#3