[Peace-discuss] A curious omission by the News-Gazette

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 10 21:35:39 CST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marti Wilkinson" <martiwilki at gmail.com>
To: "Randall Cotton" <recotton at earthlink.net>
Cc: <peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net>
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2008 11:48 PM
Subject: Re: [Peace-discuss] A curious omission by the News-Gazette

: It didn't occur to me that I was being quick to 'defend' the
News-Gazette.

OK, but that certainly was the appearance. Soon after I posted (less than
an hour), presumably without actually looking at the NG article in
question and doing the comparison that I did, you took the trouble to post
a response blunting my criticism of the News-Gazette, saying you thought
the edits had a totally innocent explanation.

I cannot know your intent in this situation, but your actions are
indistinguishable from a deliberate effort to defend the News-Gazette even
without knowing the details, stating an opinion that the edits were "a
fairly common and mundane editorial practice", implying that my criticism
was unfounded.

: My comment was to the effect that what you observed may be a reflection
of a
: standard practice in newspapers. As for your decision to 'challenge'
me - I
: have to ask why are you so quick to judge my response?

Well, I think I had all the facts necessary to make a quick judgment that
you were casting doubt on my claim of expurgation by the NG to favor the
military. I made the criticism, and you took the trouble to post a
counter-argument, claiming an innocent alternative explanation for the
edits, which had the effect of defending the News-Gazette against my
criticism.

Some more details:
=============
Also snipped from the article was the following passage, regarding the
trouble Kelly and Joshua were experiencing in trying to get Joshua into
counseling in a Warrior Transition Unit. This passage reflects poorly on
the Madigan Army Medical Center (again, where Sgt. Barber drove his pickup
to commit suicide):

"Kelly Barber said the couple worked with Madigan officials to help
approve his transfer, but there were numerous delays and no decision had
been made at the time of his suicide. Sharon Ayala, spokeswoman for
Madigan, declined to comment because an investigation is pending."

***

Total space allocated for article photos: 120 square inches
Total space allocated for article text: 70 square inches
Total additional space needed to fit entire original article: 9 square
inches

So instead of printing the full article (for which there was clearly
room), the News Gazette took the trouble to clip out the bits that
mentioned:

1. how there were "numerous delays" getting Joshua into a counseling
situation
2. the fact that Joshua made a point to dress in his "old combat uniform"
before commiting suicide
3. the fact that his wife thinks Joshua was "making a statement to the
military" by dressing in his "old combat uniform" and killing himself in
front of the Magidan Army Medical Center.

I maintain that whatever statement Joshua might have been trying to make
would tend to reflect poorly on the military.

Perhaps he meant something like "My combat experience in the military
drove me to commit suicide and the Army wouldn't help me".

But thanks to the News-Gazette's surgical censorship, its readers will not
be allowed to ponder Joshua's message, which might lead the reader to
think more negatively about the military.

: On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 11:00 PM, Randall Cotton