[Peace-discuss] Fw: Support The Nadler Initiative Against The Planned Bush Blanket Pardons

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Fri Dec 12 10:47:28 CST 2008

I am assuming that your notion of "prophesy" is coming out of some religious
tradition.  Mine comes from a more secular tradition.  Nevertheless, I never
said that prophesy was an integral part of social criticism or a necessary
part of it; I think that was your addition, which I accepted  as being an
option for the social critic.

If I needed to construct a definition from the online sources, it might read
as follows:

Prophecy, generally, describes the disclosing of information
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information> , revelations, and
interpretations that are not known to the prophet
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophet>  by any ordinary means (including
everyday  commonsense reasoning and observations as contrasted to the
analytical questioning and deconstructions of everyday  commonsensical
appearance or instances of practical concrete reasoning and observations).
It may or may not involve visions of the future or predictions as to
outcomes and consequences; but it does not have to.   Thus, it would imply
elements of delivering edification and maybe exhortations to action; these
in turn may or may not furnish the listener or reader with comfort.  But
those elements are side effects of the acts of prophesy as far as I am
concerned; the core is to reveal possible hidden meanings and truths that
lie beneath the everyday interpretations of our world and its events through
criticism or analytical analysis (those who are religious or believe in
magic or the like might add that the revelations are derived from god,
spiritual sources, intuition, etc. as well as analytic criticism and
analysis.