[Peace-discuss] Murderous Illinois politician

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sat Dec 13 11:04:24 CST 2008

The governor of Illinois is no better than he should be, but as far as I know he
hasn't had anybody killed (or at least he hasn't been indicted for that).  But
while the media have been so excited about his (illegal?) activities, another
Illinois politician has been planning to kill many people when he becomes
president.  Robert Gates, Obama's Pentagon chief (and Bush's), has been
traveling throughout the Middle East announcing plans for the expansion of US
attacks there.  Which Illinoisan is the bigger criminal?  --CGE

	Is What Blago Did Illegal?
	posted by Christopher Hayes on 12/12/2008 @ 2:40pm

Playing devil's advocate for a moment. Obviously, if the tapes are accurate,
what Blagojevich was odious and unethical and dishonorable. But was it illegal?

Here's why I ask: the Tribune's reporting that not only was Jesse Jackson Jr.
candidate five, but that Blago had a meeting with a business man named Raghuveer
Nayak who's a fundraiser for both men, and it was during that conversation that
Nayak offered to raise as much as $1.5 million for Blago's campaign fund if he
gave Jackson the seat.

OK, it's possible that Jackson had no idea these folks (including, it appears,
his brother) were scheming on his behalf. But here's my question: My
understanding of the law is that there's a distinction between personal
pecuniary interests/compensation and campaign fundraising. In other words: it
would be manifestly illegal, obviously, if Blago was "selling" the seat in the
sense of trading it fro cash for himself. But is trading the seat for
fundraising help really illegal? and if so, doesn't that mean that a huge
percentage of political transactions are illegal, including all those
conversations during the primary about Obama inducing HRC to drop out in
exchange for fundraising help to retire her debt?

I'm not defending this at all. Let me make that clear. I'm saying that
politicians trade things for fundraising help all the time, it's half of what
they do. So where's the line where that becomes illegal?

http://www.thenation.com/blogs/jstreet/389771/is_what_blago_did_illegal_?rel=hp_blogs_box