[Peace-discuss] What we per/commit

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sun Dec 14 09:48:20 CST 2008

[A rather perfunctory review in this morning's NYTBR reminds us of what we are
allowing Bush and Obama to do. --CGE]

	December 14, 2008
	Many My Lais
	By TARA MCKELVEY

    THE WAR BEHIND ME
    Vietnam Veterans Confront the Truth About U.S. War Crimes
    By Deborah Nelson
    296 pp. Basic Books. $26.95

Villagers, acting as human minesweepers, walked ahead of troops in dangerous
areas to keep Americans from being blown up. Prisoners were subjected to a
variation on waterboarding and jolted with electricity. Teenage boys fishing on
a lake, as well as children tending flocks of ducks, were killed. “There are
hundreds of such reports in the war-crime archive, each one dutifully recorded,
sometimes with no more than a passing sentence or two, as if the killing were as
routine as the activity it interrupted,” Deborah Nelson writes in “The War
Behind Me.”

The archive, housed at the University of Michigan, holds documents from Col.
Henry Tufts, former chief of the Army’s investigative unit, that reveal
widespread killing and abuse by American troops in Vietnam. Most of these
actions are not known to the public, even though the military investigated them.
The crimes are similar to those committed at My Lai in 1968. Yet, as Nelson
contends, most Ameri cans still think the violence was the work of “a few rogue
units,” when in fact “every major division that served in Vietnam was
represented.” Precisely how many soldiers were involved, and to what extent, is
not known, but she shows that the abuse was far more common than is generally
believed. Her book helps explain how this misunderstanding came about.

After the My Lai story broke, officials acted quickly. They looked into other
crimes — for example, studying anonymous letters sent to superiors by “Concerned
Sgt.,” which described the deaths of hundreds of civilians, or “a My Lai each
month for over a year.” Serious offenses were indeed investigated, and 23 men
were found guilty, though most got off easy. The harshest sentence was 20 years’
hard labor, for the rape of a 13-year-old girl by an interrogator in a
prisoner-of-war compound. The rapist served seven months and 16 days.

“Get the Army off the front page,” President Richard Nixon reportedly said.
Investigations were a good way to do that. A cover-up attracts attention; a
crime that is being looked into does not. The military investigations, Nelson
argues, were designed not to hold rapists and murderers accountable, but to
deflect publicity. When reporters heard about a war crime, they’d call the Army
to see if it would provide information. If they suspected a cover-up, they’d
pursue the story. If a military spokesman said an investigation was under way,
the story was usually dropped.

Nelson, who wrote a series on war crimes with a military historian when she was
at The Los Angeles Times, is a diligent, passionate reporter. Her zeal, though,
sometimes leads to awkward moments. In Vietnam, villagers tell her about
killings that took place in a ravine, giving her “hope” that she has discovered
a hamlet where a massacre occurred in 1968. It is a different massacre, as it
turns out; she seems vaguely disappointed.

Still, this is an important book. Nelson demonstrates that cover-ups happen in
plain sight and that looking for an exclusive can blind reporters to the real
story. She also points out that these crimes are endemic to counterinsurgency
operations. When troops fight among a civilian population, in conflicts that
extend for years, atrocities are almost bound to happen. “If we rationalize it
as isolated acts, as we did in Vietnam and as we’re doing with Abu Ghraib,” a
retired brigadier general tells her, “we’ll never correct the problem.
Counterinsurgency operations involving foreign military forces will inevitably
result in such acts, and we will pay the costs in terms of moral legitimacy.”
Whether it’s Vietnam or Iraq, the truth is disturbing. “After such knowledge,”
T. S. Eliot wrote, “what forgiveness?”

Tara McKelvey, a senior editor at The American Prospect, is a frequent
contributor to the Book Review and the author of “Monstering: Inside America’s
Policy of Secret Interrogations and Torture in the Terror War.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/14/books/review/McKelvey-t.html