[Peace-discuss] Repercussions of Madoff scandal

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Mon Dec 15 17:29:40 CST 2008

	Bernard Madoff's Circle of Victims Widens;
	Charities Caught in his Scheme, Forced to Close
	BY CAROLINE BANKOFF

As if the city's charities didn't have enough to contend with this holdiay
season, it looks as though newly infamous investor Bernard Madoff is going to
make things that much worse. Mr. Madoff, who is all over the news for squadering
billions of dollars in high-profile money in a massive Ponzi scheme, will be
taking a number of philanthropic organizations down with him. Via Bloomberg, we
have a partial tally:

- Both the JEHT Foundation, a large foundation dedicated to electoral reform and
improving the criminal justice system, and Massachusetts's Robert I. Lappin
Charitable Foundation, which covered the costs of trips to Israel for teenagers,
will close as a result of their lost investments.

- Mr. Madoff seems to have been solely responsible for investing the money of
author and Holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel's foundation, which sponsors an annual
ethics contest and after-school programs for Ethiopian Jews in Israel.

- He was also a money manager for Steven Spielberg’s Wunderkinder Foundation,
which disbursed about $5.2 million in 2006 to causes like the Ross School and
Los Angeles’s Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, and handled 45 percent of the $324
million Carl and Ruth Shapiro Foundation, which donated to Brandeis University
and Boston's Museum of Fine Arts.

- SAR Academy, an Orthodox Jewish school in Riverdale, New York had invested
about a third of its $3.7 million dollar endowment with Mr. Madoff.

- Mr. Madoff also headed up New York Mets owner Fred Wilpon’s family foundation,
which donated $50,000 to New York’s City Center and $10,000 to New York’s Jewish
Museum.

Representatives for these organizations have mostly avoided comment. Maybe
they're waiting to wake up?