[Peace-discuss] Shoe-thrower is "Americanized"...

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Dec 16 08:04:50 CST 2008

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 03:17:20AM -0600, John W. wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 6:19 PM, C. G. Estabrook <galliher at uiuc.edu> wrote:
>
> ...and the President of the U.S. "assaulted" Iraq, leaving more than a
> > million dead. Are you justifying the beating of Zaidi?  --CGE
>

> Only in the sense that he had to know it was going to happen.  I hope he
> feels that his expression of anger was worth the price.

Yes.  Knowing that it was going to happen, since violence is legitimate
only when it goes from a more- to a less-powerful entity.

NPR's bizarre first reaction was, Isn't this a great sign of how
much more freely people can speak in Iraq now that the US is there!
Will they report this guy's imprisonment and beating as part of our
encouragement of free speech too?

It's notable how many news outlets quote this journalist calling Bush a dog,
and how many fewer include his second line, "This is from the widows, the orphans
and those who were killed in Iraq".

 [...]