[Peace-discuss] Pro-war propaganda

Morton K. Brussel brussel at illinois.edu
Wed Dec 17 00:00:45 CST 2008

Kinzer is certainly "disappointing" in this interview.

He takes the point of view that what we're doing in Afghanistan is
basically altruistic, only our tactics are wrong. He seems to assume
that we can have troops there benignly, training a new Afghan army
without harming anyone or eliciting antagonism.

Has he not learned the lessons of Vietnam, that we were there
initially to train a Vietnamese army to fight the Communists better?
--But somehow we got entangled in their training, gunfights in the
field. Imagine, the Vietcong were shooting at us! Of course, we had
to protect ourselves, ---and bring in more troops for our training
didn't work well.

He does not consider that we may be, and wish to stay, in Afghanistan
for geopolitical and natural resource reasons, i.e. for our broadly
defined national security. His picture of our troops as basically
good, if unsophisticated, guys can justify our presence there. Of
course, this is nonsense. Is he really so naive about our hegemonic
impulses?

It might be good to have him visit here again to confront his
arguments. Yes, Kinzer has seemingly learned that military force does
not make friends with people, but his statement that we could remain
in Afghanistan as benign onlookers shakes ones confidence in his
powers of analysis and observation---even giving him the benefit of
doubt that he is sincere.

As to the chaos that would ensue if we left, it is pointed out
endlessly that we only create chaos by our foreign arms laden presence.
--mkb