[Peace-discuss] We need green jobs not war jobs

Morton K. Brussel mkb3 at mac.com
Wed Dec 17 11:58:37 CST 2008

Dear Friend,

The Obama administration is taking shape. With the appointment of his national security team it is evident that those of us who oppose the Iraq war and want to see a reduction in U.S. militarism need to remind the incoming president and Congress that this is a priority for the vast majority of Americans, especially during this economic collapse it is important for the U.S. to bring the troops home and reduce military spending.

I am asking you to take two steps influence Obama and Congress (1) write the Obama administration and (2) write your elected representatives in Congress. On the take action page of VotersForPeace.US (http://votersforpeace.us/takeaction.html) we provide you the tools to do that quickly and easily.

The issues we want to emphasize to Obama and Congress are:

    * The 2008 election provided a mandate to end the war and focus on the economy at home. It is important for the Obama administration to bring home all U.S. troops, not just combat troops, and all private security contractors which number even more than U.S. troops. It is time for green jobs at home not war jobs abroad.

    * The economic collapse makes the cost of the war even more important than it was. The U.S. cannot continue to hemorrhage more than $10 billion per month on the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. These are costly and failed war quagmires that the U.S. must extricate itself from as quickly as possible.

    * Beyond the current wars, the U.S. needs to reduce military spending. The United States currently spends as much as the whole world combined on the military. The chairman of the Financial Services Committee, Barney Frank is calling for a 25% cut in military spending and an internal board appointed by Donald Rumsfeld is telling the president-elect that military spending cannot be sustained. The military budget, including the two wars being fought, is now approaching $1 trillion per year.

We have some large tasks ahead of us to convince the president-elect to really end the Iraq war, not escalate the war in Afghanistan and reduce military spending. This is all achievable but only if we work together toward it. In addition to taking the action above, please send a donation today to Voters for Peace. We need your support to continue our efforts OF ending the war and reducing militarism. Support our efforts and donate at https://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/organizations/vfp/shop/custom.jsp?donate_page_KEY=1355.

Thank you for taking action and supporting our efforts.

Sincerely,

Kevin B. Zeese
Executive Director

P.S. Are you angry about the bailout funneling tax dollars to the wealthiest Americans while people lose their jobs, foreclosures and bankruptcies increase and the economy goes into free fall? If so, visit www.BreakTheBailout.com and join our efforts to create an economy that serves all Americans not just the wealthiest.