[Peace-discuss] GA judge jails Muslim woman for hijab

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Wed Dec 17 13:11:26 CST 2008

>On the other hand, I'm a firm advocate of strict Separation of Church and
State, but that seems not to have been the issue

I am not so sure about that.  It is either a "freedom of expression" or a
"freedom of religion" issue or a case of both when you get right down to it.
It would seem that unless the court can show some compelling reason for her
to remove the hijab, it is both a "freedom of religion' and "freedom of
speech issue. In terms of the policy and the court's actions.  If there is a
compelling reason, then it would seem that the courts would make provisions
to accommodate searches in private by persons of the same sex that
accommodate the individuals religious and other ethnic beliefs so as to
allow them to participate in the court process without needing to bare their
heads in public while doing so.   In the case of the guards actions of
cuffing her and taking her before the judge because she exclaimed an
expletive, this also would fall under the freedom of speech provisions of
The Constitution and would not fall under any "shouting fire in a crowded
theater" exemption.

Thus, if it is not a case of either of these then I have to wonder what kind
of a legal issue it would be.  Of course, it might be an issue of judicial
arrogance and prejudice- I suppose.