[Peace-discuss] James Petras fulminates…

Morton K. Brussel brussel at illinois.edu
Thu Dec 18 23:37:50 CST 2008

Worth pondering. I would like to ask Petras whether would have
preferred McCain.Palin to the here reviled Obama.

I asked a panel at the UFPJ, which  included Tom Hayden, why there
were no real progressives nominated to Obama's team, and received no
answer. I thought this was a gross omission, because it must have
implications for the anti-war movement.

James Petras gives his interpretation of those implications. The
panel at UFPJ were not willing to consider them.  (Maybe it was too
late in a long session.) --mkb

Petras' conclusions are taken from the article at:
http://petras.lahaine.org/articulo.php?p=1766&more=1&c=1

…
Conclusion

Nothing speaks to Obama’s deep and abiding commitment to become the
savior of the US empire as clearly as his willingness to appoint to
the highest position of policy making the most mediocre failed
politicians and generals merely because of their demonstrated
willingness to pursue the course of military-driven empire building
even in the midst of a collapsing domestic economy and ever more
impoverished and drained citizenry.

Just as Obama’s electoral campaign and subsequent victory will go
into the annals as the political con-job of the new millennium, his
economic and political appointments will mark another ‘historic’
moment: The nomination of corrupt and failed speculators and
warmongers. Let us join the inaugural celebration of our ‘First Afro-
American’ Imperial President, who wins by con and rules by guns!

December 2008