[Peace-discuss] James Petras fulminates…

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 19 00:54:09 CST 2008

Why should Petras fulminate?  Obama is planning to kill a lot of people and
immiserate more, just as he said he would.  And Petras seems so upset at the
prospect that he can't even get straight why our rulers would do such things.

He seems to ascribe it to stupidity: "They blindly back a small, highly
militarized and ideologically fanatical colonial state (Israel) against 1.5
billion Muslims living in oil and mineral resource-rich nations with lucrative
markets and investment potential and situated in the strategic center of the
world. They promote total wars against whole populations, as is occurring in
Afghanistan, Iraq and Somalia and, which, by all historical experience, cannot
be won."

That's wrong both as to cause and effect.  The Clinton-Bush-Obama regime has in
fact done rather well in achieving its real goals and will probably continue to
do so, despite the danger to humanity.  And they are generally quite rational in
the Weberian sense of fitting means to ends (with occasional foul-ups, like the
Coalition Provisional Authority, but they can be corrected, with more deaths).
They're vicious, not stupid, as the rest of the (shoe-throwing) world
recognizes.  But Americans who see that can be strangled in the bath of propaganda.

I find myself quoting Thomas Pynchon a lot these days: "If you can get them
asking the wrong questions, you don't have to worry about answers."  --CGE

Morton K. Brussel wrote:
> Worth pondering. I would like to ask Petras whether would have preferred
> McCain.Palin to the here reviled Obama.
>
> I asked a panel at the UFPJ, which  included Tom Hayden, why there were
> no real progressives nominated to Obama's team, and received no answer.
> I thought this was a gross omission, because it must have implications
> for the anti-war movement.
>
> James Petras gives his interpretation of those implications. The panel
> at UFPJ were not willing to consider them.  (Maybe it was too late in a
> long session.) --mkb
>
> <http://petras.lahaine.org/articulo.php?p=1766&more=1&c=1>

Yes, indeed, “our greatest intellectual critics”, our ‘libertarian’ leftists and
academic anarchists, used their 5-figure speaking engagements as platforms to
promote the con man’s candidacy: They described the con man’s political pitch as
“meeting the deeply felt needs of our people”. They praised the con man when he
spoke of ‘change’ and ‘turning the country around’ 180 degrees. Indeed, Obama
went one step further: he turned 360 degrees, bringing us back to the policies
and policy makers who were the architects of our current political-economic
disaster.

The contrast between Obama’s campaign rhetoric and his political activities was
clear, public and evident to any but the mesmerized masses and the self-opiated
‘progressives’ who concocted arguments in his favor. Indeed even after Obama’s
election and after he appointed every Clintonite-Wall Street shill into all the
top economic policy positions, and Clinton’s and Bush’s architects of prolonged
imperial wars (Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Secretary of Defense
Robert Gates), the ‘progressive true believers’ found reasons to dog along with
the charade. Many progressives argued that Obama’s appointments of war mongers
and swindlers was a ‘ploy’ to gain time now in order to move ‘left’ later...

The electoral scam served several purposes above and beyond merely propelling a
dozen strategic con artists into high office and the White House. First and
foremost, the Obama con-gang deflected the rage and anger of tens of millions of
economically skewered and war drained Americans from turning their hostility
against a discredited presidency, congress and the grotesque one-party two
factions political system and into direct action or at least toward a new
political movement...