[Peace-discuss] James Petras fulminates…

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Fri Dec 19 11:41:25 CST 2008

Mort,
I was severely criticized when I sat on an animal care committee over at
the University for using
the expression "calling a spade a spade" as some misguided and
misinformed administrators
felt that I had used a racist term.  (They didn't appreciate my blunt
critique of their lack of discernment in management either, so
criticizing my language
presented them a convenient diversion.)

The expression about spades dates back to the ancient Greeks and refers to
some lack of sophistication in one's description of a hog trough.

But some think it refers to a racial slur that dates from the 1920's.
No amount of googling and etymology would change the minds of these
administrators...