[Peace-discuss] Faith and fanaticism

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 19 12:55:13 CST 2008

Read history critically.  Even comforting illusions should yield to facts.  The
world is everything that is the case; it does not depend on how we think about
it.  The maxim "One of the tragedies of life is the murder of a beautiful theory
by a brutal gang of facts," ascribed to various people, perhaps originates with
La Rochefoucauld.

Human are just those animals who take up the world in language, and all language
is ironic -- it approaches its object asymptotically.  But the naturalistic
fallacy is in fact not a fallacy.  The fact/value distinction doesn't work.

So a reference to "Clinton-Bush-Obama war crimes" in SW Asia is as much a matter
of fact as similar references to "Kennedy-Johnson-Nixon war crimes" in SE Asia
or "Hitler-Goering-Himmler war crimes" in Russia, even though the first -- with
only a million or so people dead -- has not yet reached the levels of
destructiveness of the other two. --CGE