[Peace-discuss] James Petras fulminates…

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 19 13:57:53 CST 2008

It's actually an entwined bit of history, involving a rare mistake by Erasmus of
Rotterdam (one of my intellectual heroes -- a Chomsky of his age, the 16th
century).

The OED explains the phrase "to call a spade a spade" as "to call things by
their real names, without any euphemism or mincing of matters; to use plain or
blunt language; to be straightforward to the verge of rudeness." It says that
the source seems to be an adage found in the Greco-Roman historian Plutarch (1st
cent. CE) that uses the Greek word "skaphe."  Erasmus translated it as "the
Macedonians were fellows of no fine wit in their terms, but altogether gross,
clubbish, and rustical ... they had not the wit to call a spade ["skaphe"] by
any other name then a spade."  But, the OED remarks, "There is no evidence that
'skaphe' (a trough, basin, bowl, boat, etc.) had the sense of ‘spade’ [=
shovel]; in rendering it by [Latin] 'ligo' Erasmus evidently confused it with
... derivatives from [a Greek stem meaning] 'to dig.'"

So the unwitting Macedonians called a bowl a bowl, but we call a spade a "bloody
shovel," thanks to Erasmus.

The mark on the playing card however is not a shovel but a sword, called a spade
from the Italian (cf. Sp. espada = sword).  From the black color of the
playing-card mark, the word comes to mean (as the OED says) "A Black person, a
Negro, esp. male: freq. in White use, as a term of contempt or casual reference.
Formerly among U.S. Blacks, a very dark-skinned Negro. slang (orig. U.S.)."

But he earliest literary examples are post-WWI:
   1928 C. MCKAY Home to Harlem: "Jake is such a fool spade ... She was of the
complexion known among Negroes as spade or chocolate-to-the-bone."
   1929 W. THURMAN Blacker the Berry: "Wonder where all the spades keep
themselves?"
   1945 L. SHELLY Jive talk Dict.: "Spade, colored person."
   1957 C. MACINNES City of Spades [set in Notting Hill, London]
   1971 N. SAUNDERS Alternative London:"On Saturdays try Brixton market --
nearly as big, more genuine, lots of spades," etc.

I mentioned the '60s because I had in mind the counter-culture's ironic use of
the term. (See, e.g., the Firesign Theatre.)

The best line comes from a poet whom Erasmus would have appreciated and restores
the issue of class: in Oscar Wilde's play "The Importance of Being Earnest"
(1895), Cecily declares "When I see a spade, I call it a spade"; to which
Gwendolen responds, "I am glad to say that I have never seen a spade".  --CGE