FW: [Peace-discuss] Afghan war

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 19 14:14:51 CST 2008

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 01:36:04PM -0600, LAURIE SOLOMON wrote:

> Would it not be truly strange if this was not really a war for oil, against
> terrorism, in support of empire building; but instead was a Malthusian
> attempt at population control perpetrated by the industrial nations and
> their WASP leadership aimed at decreasing the third world population and the
> underclass populations at home.

Strange, well, maybe.

If mass killing were the main intent, we could be far
more effective than these wars have been.

Let's hope we don't go in for industrial eugenics again
as the Germans did, after studying with admiration what
American eugenicists/racists had been doing on a smaller
scale for decades.   (An eye-opening and very readable
book on this is Edwin Black's "War Against the Weak /
Eugenics and America's Campaign to Create a Master Race".)

> What we have is a modern day version of the
> 100 years war; it is after all the only thing we have going to keep what we
> call our economy from being flushed down the toilet although it has not
> helped to keep us out of the toilet.

Wars make lousy jobs programs too.  We can make 'way better
jobs programs for much less money and vastly less misery.

> If we allow enough of your militarist
> sons and daughters to be killed in this dirty little protracted war, we
> might actually wind up making the world safe for the peaceful - after a
> couple of hundred years.

Ugh.