[Peace-discuss] International man of mystery...

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sat Dec 20 15:04:18 CST 2008

REUTERS - The United States is looking to send 20,000 to 30,000 extra troops to
Afghanistan by the beginning of next summer, the chairman of the U.S. joint
chiefs of staff said on Saturday.

Washington is already sending some 3,000 extra troops in January and another
2,800 by spring, but officials have previously said the number would be made up
to 20,000 in the next 12 to 18 months...

[But we still don't know what Obama will do, do we?  He won't even become
president for a month, and he hasn't done anything yet, has he?  Why, he
probably hasn't even been told about these plans... --CGE]

"Some 20 to 30,000 is the window of overall increase from where we are right
now. I don't have an exact number," Admiral Mike Mullen told reporters.

"We've agreed on the requirement and so it's really clear to me we're going to
fill that requirement so it's not a matter of if, but when," he said. "We're
looking to get them here in the spring, but certainly by the beginning of summer
at the latest"...

President-elect Barack Obama has pledged a renewed focus on Afghanistan...

[And we'll all just have to wait and see what he decides when he "focuses" on
Afghanistan, which he clearly hasn't, yet, right? His appointment of Clinton and
Gates surely didn't have anything to do with what they've said on the subject or
what they think should be done.  So we should just support him and urge him to
make the right decision, when he gets around to doing it, OK?...  --CGE]