[Peace-discuss] Christianity and War - Laurence Vance

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 25 21:56:18 CST 2008

The Bible can send seemingly conflicting messages.  I can still recall the
time when I, as a brand new Christian in 1970, was wrestling with what I
should think and do about the war in Viet Nam.  I asked the advice of some
people whom I regarded as more mature Christians.  Several of them quoted
Paul:  "Be subject to your rulers, for the powers that be are ordained by
God..."  But Jesus Himself told me to love my neighbor as myself, and even
to love my enemies - and the Vietnamese were not, as nearly as I could tell,
my enemies!  I decided that the government wasn't going to tell me who my
enemies were....and I've adhered to that basic philosophy ever since.

John

 I just tonight "discovered" anti-war libertarian Christian author Laurence