[Peace-discuss] Christianity and War - from Alex Cockburn

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sat Dec 27 21:48:31 CST 2008

[Two passages from the late Oxford theologian Herbert McCabe, OP -- a friend of
Rowan Williams, whose sermon Cockburn describes. They may be compared with
Marx' motto, which he took from a bawdy play by the 2nd century BCE playwright
Terence -- homo sum, humani nil a me alienum puto ("I am human, so I consider
nothing human to be foreign to me"). --CGE]

...The claim that Jesus is perfectly human is the claim that his social world is
co-extensive with humanity, that he is open to  all, and moreover open to all
that is in humanity.  It is not just that he would like to be or that he
proposes this as an ideal (this would be true of any liberal philosopher) but
that he actually is; the communication that he offers is unmixed with
domination or exclusiveness.  So the coming of Jesus would not be just the
coming of an individual specimen of the excellent or virtuous man, a figure who
we might try to imitate, but the coming of a new humanity, a new kind of
community amongst people. For this reason we can compare the coming of Jesus to
the coming of a new language; and indeed, John does this: Jesus is the word, the
language of God which comes to be a language for humanity...

...We come to the Father in Jesus Christ not because he has revealed to us the
way by which we may go.  (In John 14, Thomas wants to know about this and Jesus
tells him that is not the point; that is not what he offers.)  We come to the
Father in Christ simply because Jesus is the way in which the Father comes to
us; not first our way but the way the Father comes, the Father's truth, the life
of the Father.  And when the Father comes to us in the human life of Jesus it is
not to show us how to know, how to be successful at coming to him or successful
at anything else. He comes to us, after all, in a complete failure, in one who
suffers and is defeated.  He comes to us as a condemned and despised and
executed criminal.
     The Word of God is made flesh not to tell us something, not to make us
better informed; he does not show us how to teach the world new secrets; what he
shows us is our ignorance, our failure to understand...