[Peace-discuss] Israeli massacre in Gaza [and J Street PAC's call to end the violence and the blockade]

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Sun Dec 28 16:00:41 CST 2008

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 07:42:46PM -0600, C. G. Estabrook wrote:
> [Using US-provided F-16s against home-made rockets, Israel today with US
> permission killed hundreds of people in Gaza and injured hundreds more.
> The US NSC spokesman said that Hamas must first stop the rocket attacks
> before the Israeli assault ceases. CAIR "calls on President-elect Obama to
> demonstrate his commitment to change our nation’s current one-sided
> Mideast policy by speaking out now in favor of peace and justice for all
> parties."  Bet he won't. --CGE]
>
> 	December 27, 2008
> 	CAIR Condemns Israeli ‘Massacre’ in Gaza
> 	Obama urged to speak ‘in favor of peace and justice for all parties’
>
> (WASHINGTON, D.C., 12/27/08) - A prominent national Islamic civil rights
> and advocacy group today condemned Israeli attacks on the Gaza Strip that
> left more than 200 people dead and called the death toll a “massacre
> carried out using U.S. taxpayer-funded weapons.” More than 700 people,
> including women and children, were injured in the attacks.
>
> SEE: Israeli Strikes Kill 229 in Gaza (Reuters)
>
> The Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) said in a
> statement:
>
> “Despite the public ‘green light’ given to the Israeli military by
> the Bush administration, American Muslims join our fellow citizens who
> respect international law and the sanctity of human life in repudiating
> this massacre carried out using U.S. taxpayer-funded weapons.
>
> “It must be clear by now that the only future offered to the Palestinian
> people by the outgoing administration was one of perpetual subjugation and
> humiliation at the hands of the Israeli occupiers. Unfortunately, our
> nation’s timid response to this tragic episode will only serve to fuel
> anti-American sentiments in the Muslim world.
>
> “We therefore call on President-elect Obama to demonstrate his commitment
> to change our nation’s current one-sided Mideast policy by speaking out
> now in favor of peace and justice for all parties to this decades-long
> conflict.
>
> “We also call on world leaders to take direct action to end Israel’s
> counterproductive and wildly disproportionate attacks and to end the
> humanitarian siege of Gaza, which led to the recent breakdown of the
> ceasefire.”

J Street PAC (http://www.jstreet.org/) calls for
"an immediate and strong U.S.-led diplomatic effort" for
    a renewal of the cease-fire on both sides,
    an end to the siege of Gaza by Israel
and calls on the incoming Obama administration to
    lead an early and serious effort to achieve a comprehensive diplomatic
    resolution to the Israeli-Palestinian and Arab-Israeli conflicts

"The United States, the Quartet, and the world community must not wait -- as they
 did in the Israel-Lebanon crisis of 2006 -- for weeks to pass and hundreds or
 thousands more to die before intervening.  [...] As friends and supporters
 of Israel, we need to remember that only diplomacy and negotiations can
 end the rockets and terror and bring Israel long-term security and peace."

Sounds good to me.

   http://action.jstreet.org/t/3251/petition.jsp?petition_KEY=508&tag=gazaemail-txt

Here's their call: