[Peace-discuss] Israeli massacre in Gaza [and J Street PAC's call to end the violence and the blockade]

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Sun Dec 28 23:03:33 CST 2008

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 10:15:34PM -0600, C. G. Estabrook wrote:
> Stuart Levy wrote:
>> http://action.jstreet.org/t/3251/petition.jsp?petition_KEY=508&tag=gazaemail-txt
>> Here's their call:
>>> ... And there is nothing to be gained from debating which injustice is
>>> greater or came first.   What's needed now is immediate action to stop
>>> the
>>> violence before it spirals out of control...
>
> That's surely wrong.  It's obvious to the world "which injustice is greater
> or came first."  The attempt to equalize the crimes is disingenuous at
> best.

Yes, it is obvious to 'most anyone in the world,
outside the US and Israel.  But remember, making this call
is a political statement.  The point is to convince
US citizens -- including plenty who do see Israel's actions now
as "understandable" -- and congresspeople, and especially
the new Administration.

By declining to assign blame (even where it is due),
J Street has crafted a statement that's far harder to say No to --
while still calling for an end to the siege of Gaza,
and a prompt active return to a comprehensive peace process
leading to a viable two-state solution.  And calls all this
a fundamental American interest.

This is a statement that my mother might well sign
(I'm sending it along in hopes she will).  I don't think she
would sign one that simply called on the US to suspend military
support to Israel, for example.   I'd be happy to see that,
but it will not happen any time soon.  We are not strong enough.
The US will be out of Iraq and Afghanistan first.

As the J Street statement says,

    American politicians are already hearing from those who see only one side.

I'll bet they are.  In this situation, a broad call, letting our
politicians know lots of people support something more humane
than the terrible status quo -- and support listening to the Palestinians
and not only to the Israelis -- is 'way more valuable than a
less moderate call which only a few of us would agree to make.

Whatever the J Street leadership themselves believe, I think they're
wise to choose this way to mobilize people.

   Stuart