[Peace-discuss] Nuisance Ordinance and Racism

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Mon Dec 29 13:04:49 CST 2008

Thank you for taking interest in this, Neil.

The meeting of the committee of the Whole will not meet on Jan 5.  The
next meeting of the city council will
probably be 12 Jan.  The agenda has not yet been published.

It would be great if you could bring your concerns to the city council
meeting.

*

I definitely agree that some areas of town are over-policed, but to some
extent the police are drawn to those areas by
the number of calls for service to those areas, not only because the
police are going there "looking for trouble".

I am quite familiar with the overexpression of force and authority,  the
overregulation to the point that "any time they stop you they
can find you doing something wrong".  Selective enforcement almost
always follows multiplication of regulations beyond necessity.

We also need to consider that there are indeed factors and activities
that are generating these calls for service.

"Punish, Evict, and Incarcerate" attitude of the city's elitists and a
"Run, and Gun" method by the police is not going to
provide much of a valuable service to the community.