[Peace-discuss] Jobs With Justice

Marti Wilkinson martiwilki at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 15:07:22 CST 2008

Charity Navigator has a link on their website where they outline the
methodology used in evaluating organizations. As it is there is only one
source of information they use and that is the tax forms that are filed with
the IRS. The last fiscal year evaluated for JwJ is 2006 so the information
is out-dated and I don't think it's really fair to base an evaluation of an
organization strictly on one resource.

The challenge with a website like Charity Navigator is they are pretty savvy
in promoting themselves with the use of testimonials from Forbes and PC
Magazine which gives them the 'look' of legitimacy. It may very well take a
lawsuit from JwJ before this group will self correct.

As for putting them out of business this organization receives their funds
and donations from corporations

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa5292/is_200403/ai_n24276396/pg_22

The above link describes how the 'founder' of charity navigator received the
initial funding from owners of a pharmaceutical corporation. As such if the
money is coming from and continues to come from corporations and think tanks
then that can have an impact on data collection and reliability. After all
why would corporations want to support an organization like Jobs with
Justice?

Marti