[Discuss] [Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] State's Attorney Rietz Participates In Cover-up Of Police Brutality

Belden Fields a-fields at uiuc.edu
Sun Feb 3 15:01:44 CST 2008

I have to take issue with my friend Marti's position on Julia's being
married to a police officer.  While it is a delicate issue, I do not
think that it is sexist to argue that someone who is very lenient
with police and corrections officers when they commit crimes, and is
very willing to take officers' sides of a story when there is an
arrest with force and the arrestee claims that he/she has been
unjustifiably roughed up by police, can be more inclined to side with
the officers because of such a relationship.  I think that would
likely be the case if a policewoman were married to a civilian male
or if the officers were engaged in a gay or lesbian relationship.
States attorneys make judgments  about how cases of arrest should be
handled.  In that sense they are judges of first instance.  Since
states attorneys cannot recuse themselves from each and every case, I
think it is best that there not be a spousal relationship between
states attorneys and police officers, corrections officers,  or trial
judges.  I don't think that this has anything to do with sexism
Marti, just a natural human propensity to be sympathetic with the
perspectives of a spouse of whatever gender or sexual preference.
Belden