[Peace-discuss] Re: Sample Ballot

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Feb 4 17:51:27 CST 2008

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 05:14:04PM -0600, dpitts123 at sbcglobal.net wrote:
> Does anyone on these lists know where I can get a sample ballot for tomorrow's election.

Yes (copying Peace since this is something we should announce anyway):

Generally, look on "champaigncountyclerk.com" and follow the "Election Services" link:
   http://champaigncountyclerk.com/elections/index.html

>From there, you can either look up your own polling place's ballot --
given your name, birthdate, and last four social-security-number digits --
by following the "Find Your Polling Place" link:
   https://www.champaigncountyclerk.com/elections/registration_status.html

This confirms whether you're registered, tells you where to vote,
and has links to all four possible ballots for your polling place:
one each for Republican, Democratic, Green, and non-partisan.

Or, toward the bottom of the same Election Services page
under "2008 Election Information" you can find specimen ballots
which show issues for all places in Champaign county mashed together:

    First there's a collection of referenda, which are on the ballot
    regardless of party:
http://champaigncountyclerk.com/elections/docs/2008/02_05_2008_referenda.pdf

    Separately there are specimens for candidates for each party,
    *not including* the above referenda:
http://champaigncountyclerk.com/elections/docs/2008/02_05_2008_fullspecimen_republican.pdf
http://champaigncountyclerk.com/elections/docs/2008/02_05_2008_fullspecimen_democratic.pdf
http://champaigncountyclerk.com/elections/docs/2008/02_05_2008_fullspecimen_green.pdf
http://champaigncountyclerk.com/elections/docs/2008/02_05_2008_fullspecimen_nonpartisan.pdf

Of course when you actually go to vote tomorrow, you'll choose a party,
and get a ballot that includes that party's candidates for that area,
plus all the referenda that apply there.  So choose some tasty referenda
from column A and palatable candidates from column B.

And, NOTE that your actual ballot may well be two-sided.
You'll likely have to FLIP IT OVER to see the referenda.

   Stuart