[Peace-discuss] Obama and the US use of military force

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 14:11:23 CST 2008

I worry that there is a dynamic in the discussion about Obama that
folks are allowing themselves to be provoked into taking positions
that US peace activists should not be taking.

Whether we know for sure exactly what Obama told the Tribune doesn't
really matter that much, because there is a well-documented public
record that Obama - like Clinton and Edwards - advocated the potential
use of military force against Iran in circumstances that would clearly
violate international law.

Under international law, there are basically 3 possibilities for the
use of military force:

- self-defense against armed attack
- authorized by the UN Security Council
- committing a war crime

C, O, and E all moved substantially from their previous positions,
which is a very positive development that it is important to note, for
which the lion's share of the credit should go to public pressure and
the fact that we have at least somewhat competitive elections.
(although they should get some credit - because they deserve at least
some credit but more importantly because it is strategic to give them
some credit.)

Nonetheless, none of them ever explicitly repudiated the notion that
the US can unilaterally attack Iran whenever it suits the US to do so
(note the FCNL chart on this point), and that's a very, very bad
thing, which should not in any way be minimized.

I would much, much rather face the problem of dealing with President
Obama than the problem of dealing with President Clinton, and I would
10^6 rather face the problem of dealing with President Obama or
President Clinton than the problem of dealing with President McCain.

But it's not going to be all ponies and unicorns if Obama is elected
President. Obama shares the Washington establishment view that the US
is uniquely endowed by Providence to decide for itself when it gets to
use violence. If he is elected President, the possibility that he
might try to act on that belief - for example, in Pakistan - cannot be
ruled out. If he does, resistance is going to be quite a challenge.
There is no reason to let down our guard.

Judging that the best plausible outcome of the electoral game from
this point is for Obama to win - my own view, but not something we can
know - doesn't require drinking the Kool-Aid.