Fwd: Re: [Peace-discuss] Repeating a lie ...

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 6 14:17:04 CST 2008

Yes, he has.  The point is that his politics are perfectly conventional
for his time and place -- e.g., he supports, as all recent
administrations have, the insistence of the US elite in maintaining
hegemony in the ME.

The government of Israel (and AIPAC) have been instrumental in that
policy, but I don't think that Walt and Mearsheimer are correct in
arguing that they have misled that US elite about what its own interests
are. (If the government of Israel were to stop serving those interests,
it would be cast off as it was in 1956.)

How eager a President Obama would be to please AIPAC would depend on how
closely AIPAC hewed to that policy.  Recent experience suggests it would
be pretty close.  --CGE