[Peace-discuss] Repeating a lie...

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 6 16:40:34 CST 2008

So now it's "has not been" vs "was"... Carl (using my patient voice), we ALL agree that Obama's position has changed during the period you mention and that "he has not been" as anti-war as we would have liked!!! But for you to continue to say that he "was" not on record as uniquivocally opposing the Iraq war in 2004 during his run for US Congress (when btw most people did NOT share his views) is meanspirited and unfair, as well as untruthful.
  My last word on this. I need to get a life.
   --Jenifer

"C. G. Estabrook" <galliher at uiuc.edu> wrote:
  Obama has not been "against the war from the first," because (a) he's
waffled, as you say, and (b) what opposition he has shown has been
tactical, not principled -- he's not really against it at all. He just
knows that a majority of Americans are, and he has to try to cover over
the differences. That is in fact his constant strategy.

If you're not willing to consider the examples I've shown you, how about
those from, e.g., the Joshua Frank piece that Mort posted? I've
emphasized a few phrases:

"After Obama won his senatorial race in 2004 he quickly abandoned the
antiwar rhetoric he had touted along the campaign trail. While remaining
critical of the White House and the lies that pushed us toward war,
Obama still maintained that U.S. military should remain in Iraq until
the job was completed.

"...in a speech to the Chicago Council on Foreign Relations in late
November 2005 ... he said, 'In sum, we have to focus, methodically and
without partisanship, on those steps that will: one, stabilize Iraq,
avoid all out civil war, and give the factions within Iraq the space
they need to forge a political settlement; two, *contain and ultimately
extinguish the insurgency in Iraq*; and three, bring our troops safely
home.'

"Obama continues to favor a 'phased redeployment' of our troops as well
as 'benchmarks' for the Iraqi government, but *promises to not 'fully
withdraw'* – hence why the Illinois senator has supported the majority
of Bush administration's pork-engorged appropriation bills that are
draining the U.S. Treasury. *Obama wants to keep cadres of troops
throughout Iraq with others all other the region to strike if necessary.*

"So where would President Obama send the troops he's redeployed? A good
guess might be Iran...

"Iran is a 'genuine threat' to the United States and Israel, Obama later
expressed at a forum sponsored by AIPAC on March 12, 2007, in
Washington, D.C. At the event Obama reiterated that he would not rule
out the use of force in disarming Iran, a position he shares with rival
Hillary Clinton.

"Earlier that same month, on March 2, 2007, Obama spoke at an AIPAC
Policy Forum in Chicago, where he succinctly laid out his position on
how he would deal with the Middle East, promising not to alter America's
lopsided relationship with Israel. '[W]e must preserve our total
commitment to our unique defense relationship with Israel by fully
funding military assistance and continuing work on the Arrow and related
missile defense programs,' he said. 'This would help Israel maintain its
military edge and deter and repel attacks from as far as Tehran and as
close as Gaza.'"