[Peace-discuss] Peretz Article

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 14 11:35:53 CST 2008

Not to take this too seriously, but Peretz is referring to a Christian Zionist movement from earlier in the 19th century that predated both the Jewish Zionist movement (1895) and the mass immigration of Jews from Eastern Europe.

LAURIE SOLOMON <LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET> wrote:        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}                >"We have petitions upon petitions from centuries ago by Americans who wanted a
>Jewish homeland in Palestine," he says. "That's from before there were any Jews in the U.S.

  How is this possible?  How can you get petitions from Americans before there were any Jews in the U.S. unless we are talking about petitions from non-Jewish Americans, in which case why would they want a JEWISH homeland?  Since there have been Jews in the U.S. since the beginning of the U.S., they must be talking about the early settlers before the U.S. Revolution and even before the establishment of the early colonies.  Given that this makes little sense, I can only conclude that they are referring to the American aboriginals as having petitioned for the establishment of a Jewish homeland in Palestine

  I further have a hard time understanding why the American aboriginals would want a Jewish homeland in Palestine and why they would be petitioning the white man in the U.S. (or Europe for that matter) for it; or how the white men of that period would know how to read a written petition from an American aboriginal.  By the way, do we know which aboriginal group it was.