[Peace-discuss] From the editor of the liberal New Republic

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 14 12:42:46 CST 2008

Actually, the denial of that statement is a pretty good paraphrase of the
Declaration of Independence.

In its present form, it's an explanation for the extirpation of the Indians: one
could find a close paraphrase in, say, Theodore Roosevelt, to "The aboriginal
Americans need to be governed (at least) by European settlers, because they do
not yet have the attributes to allow them to live peacefully alongside
Euro-Americans without threatening their civilian populations." Of course Teddy
said it better, but his racism was as consistent as Marty's. --CGE