[Peace-discuss] Howard Zinn speaks

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 14 22:57:20 CST 2008

The multiple uses you cite serve to cover the fundamental social meaning of
class -- roughly those who have the same role in the process of producing the
necessities of life. In a (more or less) capitalist order, these tend to two: a
very small group of 'owners' (not a natural relationship but a peculiar notion
of dominion over what's needed to produce food and shelter) and the large
majority, who have to sell what makes them human -- their work of head and hands
-- in order to eat regularly (even when they're privileged, like us).  The
interests of these two groups (classes, sensu stricto) are not just skew but
contradictory -- in spite of all Mr. Obama can say.

Your description of the uses of class reminds of the famous passage from a J. L.
Borges' story, in which Borges claims to know of "a certain Chinese encyclopedia
entitled Celestial Emporium of Benevolent Knowledge. On those remote pages it is
written that animals are divided into (a) those that belong to the Emperor, (b)
embalmed ones, (c) those that are trained, (d) suckling pigs, (e) mermaids, (f)
fabulous ones, (g) stray dogs, (h) those that are included in this
classification, (i) those that tremble as if they were mad, (j) innumerable
ones, (k) those drawn with a very fine camel's hair brush, (l) others, (m) those
that have just broken a flower vase, (n) those that resemble flies from a
distance."  --CGE