[Peace-discuss] trip to hear Naomi Shihab Nye speak in Edwardsville.

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Mon Feb 18 11:50:55 CST 2008

Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville has a very interesting Middle East Speakers' Series called "The Middle East: A Humanity Misunderstood: Understanding Cultures through Literature & Poetry"

This week's speaker will be Naomi Shihab Nye, the author of the poem the "Red Brocade" which we would like to use in our CU bus sign campaign. So, Stuart and I are headed to Edwardsville on Tuesday, February 19th. There is space for 2 more in the car.

Tue Feb 19th, 2008; 7pm, SIU Edwardsville:
    Middle East Speakers’ Series - Naomi Shihab Nye
    "Deeply Connected: Gateways to Everywhere"
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 7:00 p.m.
    Morris University Center
    Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville
    http://www.siue.edu/education/news/events.shtml
Parking: Visitors Lot B (next to Morris University Center)
Directions: Map available at www.siue.edu/maps
Pre-register at: www.siue.edu/globalit
Free admission

Naomi Shihab Nye - Author/Poet/Speaker
Naomi Shihab Nye was born to a Palestinian father and an American mother. She has a BA in English and World Religions. She has written numerous books including "You and Yours" which received the Isabella Gardner Poetry Award and "19 Varieties of Gazelle: Poems of the Middle East", a collection of poems about the Middle East, which was a finalist for the National Book Award. Nye gives voice to her experience as an Arab-American through poems about heritage and peace that overflow with a humanitarian spirit. Her poems, essays, and short stories have appeared in various journals and reviews throughout North America, Europe, the Middle East and the Far East. She has worked as a visiting writer in many countries, promoting international good will through the arts.