[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Forum on Free Speech / Hate Speech: 2/28 at 7:30pm

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 22 12:56:12 CST 2008

Obviously, I mean nothing personal against Carol for posting this.

  On the same evening, Students for Justice in Palestine will be showing the video Occupation 101 in 100 Greg Hall at 7:00 followed by a discussion. Two professors and I will be answering questions afterwards. The previous evening, as I've posted before, will be William Brustein's talk on "the new anti-Semitism" at the Illini Union 314 at 7, the concept being rooted in the ridiculous notion that Palestinians/Arabs/Muslims hate Jews for being Jews, not for ethnically cleansing Palestine, destroying Lebanon, etc.

  I do not see hate speech as a problem in our community, except when it is uttered by Zionists and other right wingers regarding Arab terrorism, Islamo-fascism, etc., and even then that is their right, and our responsibility to educate. I don't believe that hate is any sort of fundamental problem. It's like arguing that the cause of hate is hate. Violence is rooted in land, resources, power, and privilege. Is there any confusion about why Muslims and Jews in C-U don't hate each other?

  Paul Weichsel is the premiere and most blatant local Zionist, his daughter is head of CUJF, the premier local Zionist apologists. Just as the function of the Anti-Defamation League is to defame anyone who criticizes Israel, the function of the Jewish Community Relations Council is to relate to Hitler anyone in the community who criticizes Israel. He is part of the same group, of course, who tried to shut down UPTV to prevent "hate speech," that is, any words that hurt a Jewish person's feelings. His function on this panel will be to cause people to believe that Jews are self-centered, petty, uninformed, stupid, insensitive or hypersensitive as suits their self-interest, and warmongers, and to politely accept all that because, after all, we have a long history of suffering.

  There are better ways to make some Jews look like morons than to debate "hate speech" with them.

  Pardon if this post violates the spirit of Tolstoy as previously described.

  DG

carol inskeep <carolinskeep at yahoo.com> wrote:
    Talking Back to the First Amendment:
A Community Forum on Free Speech and Hate Speech
Thursday, February 28 at 7:30 pm
UIUC Law School, 504 E. Pennsylvania Ave. in Champaign

Colleen Connell, Executive Director of Illinois ACLU
Paul Weichsel, Chair of the Jewish Community Relations Council
Chime Asonye, Student Trustee at the University of Illinois
Wendy Shelburne, UI Assistant Professor of Library Administration

How can our community encourage open expression of controversial ideas but still discourage hate speech?   Recent local controversies have brought this question home – including the airing of anti-semitic programming on UPTV,  and repeated issues around UI Campus climate (such as racially-themed Greek parties).  Bring your questions and concerns to this community forum on the First Amendment.

Sponsored by the Champaign County Chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union.