[Peace-discuss] Ralph Nader on Obama & Israel

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 27 01:58:47 CST 2008

  Well Ralph, we're all hoping Obama'll do as you say if/when he's elected. (I have a long long list of things I'm hoping he'll do better on when it's "safe" for him to do so). But he's not gonna get elected by running on that particular platform (as well you should know), so that's why he's keeping quiet on the issue, discretion being the better part of valor. ("Liberal evangelist"... excellent!)
   --Jenifer

"C. G. Estabrook" <galliher at uiuc.edu> wrote:
  "...Senator Obama is a person of substance. He's also the first liberal
evangelist in a long time. He's run a brilliant tactical campaign. But his
better instincts and his knowledge have been censored by himself. And I give
you the example, the Palestinian-Israeli issue, which is a real off the table
issue for the candidates. So don't touch that, even though it's central to our
security and to the situation in the Middle East. He was pro-Palestinian when
he was in Illinois before he ran for the state Senate. Now he's supporting the
Israeli destruction of the tiny section called Gaza with a million and a half
people. He doesn't have any sympathy for a civilian death ratio of about
300-to-1; 300 Palestinians to one Israeli. He's not taking a leadership
position in supporting the Israeli peace movement, which represents former
Cabinet ministers, people in the Knesset, former generals, former security
officials, in addition to mayors and leading intellectuals. One would think he
would at least say, 'Let's have a hearing for the Israeli peace movement in the
Congress,' so we don't just have a monotone support of the Israeli government's
attitude toward the Palestinians and their illegal occupation of Palestine."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23319215/