[Peace-discuss] FW: A Big Loss !!!!!!!!

Habari Connection habariconnection at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 16:11:39 CST 2008

Mr. Rose had an opportunity to meet Rev James Orange when he first brought
New Order to Atlanta. He will pay his respects to the Orange Family.

The Rev. James Orange, civil rights activist, dies at 65
Atlanta resident was 'one of the great figures in the movement'

By TIM EBERLY <mailto:teberly at ajc.com> , ERNIE SUGGS <mailto:esuggs at ajc.com>

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 02/16/08

A longtime civil rights activist, the Rev. James E. Orange, died
unexpectedly Saturday night at Crawford Long Hospital in Atlanta.

Orange, 65, was admitted to the hospital for gallbladder surgery last week,
said his daughter, Jamida Orange, 38.

<http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/obits/stories/2008/02/16/85048890_or
ange.html>

W.A Bridges Jr./Staff

(ENLARGE)
<http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/obits/stories/2008/02/16/85048890_or
ange.html>

The Rev. James Orange (left) and the Rev. Joseph Lowery at a civil rights
event in Atlanta in 2004.

.  <http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/index.html> More Metro news

He was kept at the hospital because of complications and was scheduled for
follow-up tests Saturday when he passed away for reasons that were not
immediately known, she said.

"I'm stunned. Not only did I lose my parent, but I lost an actual role
model, and a lot of the people in this country lost a role model," Jamida
Orange said.

A native of Birmingham, Ala., Orange lived in southwest Atlanta for the past
four decades, his daughter said.

"It is a great loss for all of us, including a personal loss for my wife and
me," said the Rev. Joseph Lowery, who founded the Southern Christian
Leadership Conference (SCLC) with the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

"He was one of the great figures in the movement. He will be greatly
missed," Lowery said.

In the mid-1960s, Orange was hired by the SCLC as a field staffer -- a group
that Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. called the "ground crew."

"He couldn't afford to go to college and was working as a chef," said Andrew
Young, civil rights activist, former mayor of Atlanta and U.N. ambassador.

"He quit his job and started going with us, although we were only paying $10
a week. And he never left."

When King and his fellow civil rights workers went into communities to
spread the word of equality and unity, it was the ground crew's job to
maintain order, Young said.

Working with King and the late Rev. Ralph David Abernathy, Orange struck a
colorful and imposing figure in the civil rights movement in Selma, Memphis,
Chicago and other cities. He helped organize rallies and used the 300-plus
pounds on his more-than-6-foot frame to help keep them peaceful.

With a baritone singing voice, Orange also became known for his freedom
singing.

Orange began working for the AFL-CIO in February 1977 and became a regional
coordinator, participating in at least 300 labor-organizing campaigns in the
Southeast.

And in 1995, Orange set up a committee to organize an annual march and other
activities in Atlanta honoring King.

"That's his legacy," his daughter said. "Not only did he believe in Dr.
King's philosophy, he lived Dr. King's philosophy."

He is survived by his wife, Cleophas, four children and two grandchildren.
Funeral arrangements will be announced next week.

.

"New Order National Human Rights Org"
P.O.Box 1821

Marietta, Ga 30061