[Peace-discuss] Romney/cat/bag

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 1 23:31:34 CST 2008

Unlike countries that have democracies much healthier than ours --
Brazil, say, or Ecuador, which elected presidents whose programs had
popular support -- the US system has been so got-at that it functions as
a distraction from real politics.  Instead of insisting on the things we
want -- and end to the war, healthcare, jobs -- we support a
presidential candidate in hopes that s/he'll give them to us.  But the
system works so well that the only viable candidates are ones who
already serve the interests of those with wealth and power in the
country, not the populace at large.

In fact, the people we talk to have almost no influence on who even
within that small group of acceptable candidates will become president.
  We have precisely two votes before the next president is inaugurated
(Feb. 5 and Nov. 4), and at least one of those is entirely meaningless:
  in election day in November, the Democratic candidate will likely win
Illinois' electoral votes; if not -- if Illinois votes Republican --
there will have been a Republican landslide in the country at large
comparable to 1972.  The other vote will be next month in the primaries,
and only the carefully screened candidates will be in the running.  By
then too the arrangements among the members of the political
establishment that brought us Kerry in 2004 will probably be all but
complete -- although it's possible that we may still be able to tilt
towards one of the vetted candidates.

Polls (like the "Vanishing Voter Project" at Harvard) show that most
Americans think that the presidential election has little to do with
them, that it's a game for the media and political celebrities on which
they can have no impact -- and they therefore quite reasonably ignore it
for the most part.  Why in fact was there so little outcry about
election-stealing in 2000 or 2004?  Because most Americans never put any
trust into the process anyway.  They think that it's always already
"stolen" in the sense that they are systematically excluded from it.

If we urge people to get interested in the presidential campaign or to
devote time and energy to it, we're just supporting the charade that
takes the place of real politics in this country and is designed to do
precisely that.  It seems better to encourage people to demand what they
want -- not a candidate.  --CGE