[Peace-discuss] Washington's Wars and Occupations:

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Jan 3 07:28:10 CST 2008

This seems to me quite wrong.  If it represents the thinking of UFPJ, it
helps to explain why they've been so ineffective as part of an anti-war
movement.  If you misunderstand the situation, the best will in the
world can only err, or do the right thing by accident.

It is certainly not the case that "Most of Bush's elite critics are
still too scared of 'you-don't-support-the-troops' demagogy to confront
the President head on."  Those "elite critics" know that three-quarters
of the populace are against the war.  They don't confront the President
because they agree with the general policy -- US control of ME energy
resources -- but hope to make factional hay out of the Bush
administration's failures effectively to achieve it: they argue that
they can do it better.  It's not mitigation but support for the policy
that leads them to arrange for "a more prudent imperial custodian" --
Hillary.

The NIE was not leaked: it was the consensus of the foreign policy
sectors of the government (including the military), designed effectively
to say No to the war party's press for an attack on Iran.  It's not
clear what side Bush himself was on -- with Cheney or with the pros.
Nor is it clear if it had any "intelligence" value:it was a veto by
those who would have to make war.

The flap about the torture tapes may be a counter-attack against the CIA
by the war party, enraged by being told it can't have its Iran war. (I
think there is a slight chance that Cheney et al. tired to get the war
going on their own in "seven days in September.")  How fast do you think
this Justice Department would get a special counsel on the job (as is
now the case regarding the torture tapes) if the administration didn't
want it?

The quoted paragraph is Democratic party spin, as much a conscious lie
as that the US blundered into a quagmire in Vietnam because it didn't
know what it was doing...  --CGE