[Peace-discuss] Best geopolitical analysis

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sun Jan 6 12:21:04 CST 2008

I think it's one of the most important books published recently.  Klein
has done her homework, both as a reporter and an analyst; my only
hesitation is that the parallel with literal shock therapy may be a bit
forced (so to speak) -- although she quite appropriately exposes abuses
there, as well.

THE SHOCK DOCTRINE appeared while I was in the midst of a reading course
on David Harvey, A BRIEF HISTORY OF NEOLIBERALISM (2006) -- one of the
best general accounts of the world economy around -- and it was an
excellent updating and specification of Harvey's theses.  Klein's book
deserved better than the condescending review Joseph Stiglitz gave it in
the NYTBR.  The only reason I can think for it is that Klein shows up
the deficiencies in the Nobel laureate's "enlightened globalization"
view.  (See Walden Bello, <http://www.fpif.org/fpiftxt/4569>.) --CGE